There are so many happy memories I have of her. She was the rock of the family, with 6 children and 19 grandchildren. Family gatherings with my cousins were the best vacations I can remember, playing pool and bartender in the basement, lining up sleeping bags on the shag carpet, lighting sparklers in the backyard bluff overlooking the Mississippi river and sitting in the wicker swing in the breezeway.
Even though we always lived in different states and I wasn't as close to her as some people are with their grandparents, she always made us feel special. She came out to California for my first communion, my high school graduation and my wedding, among countless other trips. We spent Thanksgiving with her in Atlanta and saw her at my cousin Abby's wedding in Florida. Probably the best trip was when she took all of us (all of my aunts and uncles and cousins) on a cruise to the Caribbean for Christmas. She was the only grandparent I ever knew and I thought she could have been the mold they cut Grandma's from. Soft-spoken, sweet and cute as a button.

The thing I will remember most about her (besides her constant reminders to stand up straight) was the way she always talked about my Grandpa, Arthur "Bud" Miller. He died when I was a baby, but she still seemed like a teenager in love until she passed. She told me one time that he treated her like a Queen and he was a King. She would only drink Miller or Bud beer in honor of him. He came up often in conversation, and only with the most glowing praise. Everyone who knew her knew that he was the love of her life. I know she will be so glad to be back with him and my Nana and Pa. And I know that she will be happy so many people from my family will be gathering in Burlington this week. I think she wanted her legacy to be a family who loved each other and made time to reunite often. While I wish I was going to Iowa this week for a happy visit to introduce Timmy to his great-grandma, I am still glad to be going to see my aunts, uncles and cousins and say one last goodbye to my Grandma.
We love and miss you, Grandma Miller.
No comments:
Post a Comment